Wednesday, August 27, 2008


I got an ARC of this book from Library Thing. I am a big historical fiction fan and was thrilled to recieve this one. I really enjoyed the story line about how make up was used during Queen Elizabeth I reign. This makeup contained lead and then they used rouge made up of mercury sulphide to hide smallpox scars and the advance of age. I found it intriguing that woman would go to such extremes and the way the body was ravaged by the use of this makeup. The story is about a young woman who is married to an earl who has only one favor to ask of his wife. That is to help him win favor with the Queen. Marget's introduction to the court is disastorous and she trys to do everything to gain her husband's love and the Queen's favor. I liked the book. Just didn't love it. I found it hard to care for Marget or her husband. Need to read more about Queen Elizabeth I to see if she was really as judgemental about beauty as this book makes her out to be. I like the way Ms Mitchell wrote the book. It was very easy to read with much dialogue but just never seemed to totally grab me. For true historical fiction fans only.

1 comment:

Booklogged said...

Sounds good, Paula. I enjoy a good historical fiction and learning things about daily life that we didn't ever hear about in history classes.

I never get drawn out for free books from Library Thing. That doesn't mean I don't stop entering - one of these days I'll receive one.

Hey, I'm having another drawing that ends tonight. Please drop by and enter if you haven't already.