Monday, September 8, 2008

The GuernseyLiterary and Potato Peel Pie Society


How can I ever say the many ways that I just loved this book!! It was just an awesome read from page one to page 274 and I so wish it would have gone on at least another 274 pages. The writing was wonderful, the story grabbed you from page one and I wish Juliet Ashton was a dear friend of mine. So many wonderful words about reading and book stores. I marked my copy up terribly but this is one that I do plan to keep on my shelf and give to everyone I know to read. One of my favorite passages "That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you into another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive-- all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment." This is exactly why I read. One book leads to another and another and I relish the sheer enjoyment I get from reading everyday. The book tells the story of Guernsey, the British Island that was occupied by the Nazis during WWII. How this small island was effected by the war and the occupation and how some survived just by picking up a book and reading. A wonderful story that I just can't recommend highly enough.

3 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I have this on reserve at the library. Of course, I'm #58, but still... I'm excited to read it. I don't think I've seen a bad review yet!

Paula said...

It's wonderful Holly! Hope you enjoy it too.

Bookfool said...

Oh, yes, I love that quote. So true! I'm anxious to get to this one, but I've got to knock out a few ARCs, first.